by Aaron Dykes and Melissa Melton
Homemade just tastes better – plus, we get to control the ingredients.
Melissa Melton and I got some raw milk from the farm and a simple cheese making kit. From there, we figured out how to make some simple and delicious farmer’s cheese from raw milk and take one more small step to self-sufficiency and self-reliance.
- Half a gallon of milk (we suggest the raw kind from cows who were not fed GMO grains).
- Citric acid powder (easily obtained from most health food stores, Ebay, etc.).
- Salt and preferred seasonings to taste.
- Add a teaspoon of citric acid powder into a half a cup of filtered water and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
- Pour half a gallon of milk into a double boiler that’s already at a rolling boil.
- Wait until your thermometer says the milk is 185 degrees, or use your magical powers of observation to note when there are frothy bubbles and a thin skin on the surface of your milk.
- Add your mixture of water and citric acid powder to the milk, then stir slowly to separate the curds (white chunks) and whey (yellow liquid).
- Stir for about a minute to fully separate your curds and whey.
- Strain the curds into a bowl covered with a cheese cloth. This will catch your curds in the cloth and separate your whey (which is also useful!).
- After the curds strain, add salt to taste, mix, and tie them up tight in the cloth. Put a plate over the bundle and put something heavy on it to set.
- The cheese is actually ready to eat after you strain it, but you can let it set for about 30 mins. under the weight to take full shape.
Eat what you want, refrigerate the rest! Makes about a pound of cheese. SUPER easy to make, tastes great, and as long as you know where your milk came from, you know what’s in it!
Speaking of by the way, did you know that over 90% of cheeses produced in North America are made with GMO rennet? Worse, the ingredient labels make no distinction. Not this cheese!
Preppers, off-gridders, homesteaders, independents, families, government refuseniks and more can also benefit from this easy cheese making skill.
Please check out our videos on:
Raw Milk Freedom
Raw Vegetable Juicing (for Health!)
Growing Sprouts: Healthy, Fresh Food in 3 Days!
Plus even more coming soon… (Hint: Kombucha and Probiotics)